5 Best Electric Toothbrush for Receding Gums 2023 (Dentist-Recommended)
Matt Hannan, DDS
Updated: November 6, 2023
If you have receding gums, you know how important it is to care for them. The right electric toothbrush can help prevent further damage and promote gum health.
This article will introduce you to the best electric toothbrush for receding gums in 2023.
As an experienced dentist with years of experience, I’ve tested and evaluated 250+ dental products. I strive to find the best products for achieving excellent oral hygiene, so let’s take a closer look at the 5 Best Electric Toothbrush for Receding Gums from a dentist’s perspective.
- Best Overall: Oral-B iO Series 9 Electric Toothbrush
- Best Pressure Sensor: Philips Sonicare 6100 Electric Toothbrush
- Best Value: BURST Sonic Electric Toothbrush
- Best Features: Aquasonic Black Series Electric Toothbrush
- Best Sensitivity: PRO-SYS VarioSonic Sensitive Electric Toothbrush
- 5 Best Electric Toothbrushes for Travel 2023 (Dentist-Recommended)
- 6 Best Affordable Electric Toothbrushes 2023 (Dentist-Recommended)
- Top 5 Best Extra Soft Manual Toothbrush 2023
What are Receding Gums?
If you have noticed that your teeth look longer than usual or feel more sensitive, you may be experiencing receding gums. Receding gums occur when the gum tissue surrounding and supporting your teeth pulls back, exposing more of your tooth or even the root of your tooth.
This can create gaps between your teeth and gums, making it easier for bacteria to build up and cause tooth decay or gum disease.
Causes of Receding Gums
- Periodontal disease: This is a bacterial infection that can destroy gum tissue and the bone that supports your teeth. If left untreated, it can lead to tooth loss.
- Gingivitis: This is the earliest stage of gum disease and can cause inflammation and bleeding of the gums.
- Brushing too hard: Brushing too hard or using a toothbrush with hard bristles can cause the enamel on your teeth to wear away and your gums to recede.
- Genetics: Some people are more prone to gum disease and receding gums due to their genes.
- Hormonal changes: Women may experience receding gums during pregnancy, menopause, or other times of hormonal change.
- Tobacco use: Smoking or using other tobacco products can increase your risk of gum disease and receding gums.
According to the Cleveland Clinic, gum recession is a common dental problem, with approximately 88% of people over the age of 65 having gum recession on one or more teeth.
Signs & Symptoms of Receding Gums
- Longer-looking teeth
- Tooth sensitivity
- Gaps between teeth
- Bleeding or swollen gums
- Bad breath
- Pain when chewing
If you notice any of these symptoms, seeing a dentist as soon as possible is essential. Your dentist can help determine the cause of your receding gums and recommend the best treatment options.
Why Choose an Electric Toothbrush for Receding Gums?
If you have receding gums, you may wonder if an electric toothbrush is right for you. The short answer is yes, an electric toothbrush can benefit those with receding gums. Here are some reasons why:
Benefits of Electric Toothbrush
- Less Pressure: Electric toothbrushes can help you apply less pressure when brushing, which is important for those with receding gums. Too much pressure can cause your gums to recede even further, so using an electric toothbrush can help prevent this.
- Timer: Many electric toothbrushes come with a timer to help you brush for two minutes. This ensures that you are brushing for the right amount of time and not overbrushing, which can also contribute to gum recession.
- Efficiency: Electric toothbrushes are designed to clean your teeth and gums more efficiently than manual toothbrushes. They can remove more plaque and bacteria, which is important for maintaining good oral health.
Manual Toothbrush vs. Electric Toothbrush
While manual toothbrushes can be effective, they require more effort and technique. With an electric toothbrush, the bristles do the work for you, making it easier to brush properly and thoroughly. Additionally, electric toothbrushes can be better at reaching those hard-to-reach areas, such as the back of your molars.
Overall, an electric toothbrush is an excellent investment for those with receding gums. It can help you brush more efficiently, apply less pressure, and maintain good oral health. If you need help deciding which electric toothbrush to choose, check out our list of the best ones for receding gums.
Features to Consider
When looking for an electric toothbrush to help with your receding gums, there are several features to consider. Here are some of the most important ones:
- Multiple Brushing Modes: Having multiple brushing modes can be helpful when trying to address different oral health concerns. For example, some electric toothbrushes have modes specifically designed for sensitive teeth or gum care. Others have modes for deep cleaning or whitening. Consider which modes will be most helpful for your needs.
- Pressure Sensors: Brushing too hard can cause more damage to your gums, so having a pressure sensor on your electric toothbrush can be helpful. This sensor will alert you when you are brushing too hard, helping you to avoid causing further damage to your gums.
- Soft Bristles: Soft bristles on your electric toothbrush can be gentler on your gums, which is important when dealing with receding gums. Look for toothbrushes with bristles labeled as “soft” or “extra soft.”
- Advanced Sonic Technology: Electric toothbrushes that use advanced sonic technology can help to remove more bacteria from your mouth than manual toothbrushes. This technology uses high-speed vibrations to break up plaque and bacteria, making your mouth cleaner and healthier.
- More Features: A travel case, if you plan on taking your toothbrush with you on trips. Apps that can help you track your brushing habits and remind you to floss. Compatibility with different types of brush heads, so you can choose the one that works best for you.
Top 5 Electric Toothbrush for Receding Gums
If you have sensitive gums or are experiencing gum recession, investing in an electric toothbrush that can clean your teeth effectively without causing further damage is essential. Here are some of the best electric toothbrushes for receding gums:
1. Oral-B iO Series 9 Electric Toothbrush (Best Overall)
The Oral-B iO Series Rechargeable Toothbrush combines powerful, but gentle micro-vibrations with Oral-B's unique dentist-inspired round brush head design for a professional clean feeling every day.
The Smart Pressure Sensor helps to keep you from brushing too hard to protect your gums and enamel.
3D Teeth Tracking and AI Recognition use an interactive color display to help guide you to your best clean for all areas of the mouth. A 2-minute quadrant timer comes built-in that pulsates every 30 seconds, ensuring a complete clean.
The frictionless, smooth magnetic drive system transfers energy to the bristle tips for a clean that wows. Replace your Oral-B iO Series Replacement Brush Heads every 3 months for best results.
The Oral-B iO Series 9 Electric Toothbrush is a top-of-the-line toothbrush that uses micro-vibrations and artificial intelligence to remove plaque and bacteria from your teeth and gums.
It has a unique round brush head that can reach every corner of your mouth, and it comes with 4 brush heads so you can replace them as needed. The toothbrush also has a charging base that can charge the toothbrush in just three hours.
- Pros: Artificial intelligence, travel case included, 7 intensity modes, 2-minute timer with QuadPacer, ergonomic handle and 3 replacement brush heads
- Cons: Expensive
2. Philips Sonicare 6100 Electric Toothbrush (Best Pressure Sensor)
Gentle yet effective to whiten teeth in just 1 week vs. a manual toothbrush
Protect your teeth with a pressure sensor that gently pulses to alert you when you're brushing too hard
Always know when to replace your brush head for an effective clean with the brush head replacement reminder
Personalize your brushing experience with 3 intensities and 3 modes: Clean, White and Gum Care
2-minute timer with QuadPacer helps ensure Dental Professional recommended brushing time and a consistent clean throughout your mouth
The Philips Sonicare 6100 Electric Toothbrush uses sonic technology to gently clean your teeth and gums. It has 3 intensity settings, so you can adjust the speed of the brush to suit your needs.
The toothbrush also has a pressure sensor that alerts you if you’re brushing too hard, which can cause gum recession. In addition, the Sonicare 6100 comes with a travel case and a charging base.
- Pros: Travel case included, whitens teeth, 3 intensity modes, 2-minute timer with QuadPacer, ergonomic handle and a gentle brushing experience
- Cons: Slightly more expensive than others
3. BURST Sonic Electric Toothbrush (Best Value)
33,000 sonic vibrations/minute delivers an incredible but gentle clean.
BURST reduces gum bleeding (gingivitis) up to 3x more than a manual toothbrush.*
Tapered multi-length charcoal black bristles to remove plaque without damaging your gums.
Use BURST for up to a month on a single charge.
I personally use the BURST Sonic Electric Toothbrush because it features feathered charcoal-infused bristles that are gentle on my gums. In addition, it has 3 brushing modes and a two-minute timer to ensure you brush for the recommended time.
The toothbrush also has a long battery life, a charging base, and a travel case. Lastly, you can subscribe to their replacement brush head service, which automatically sends you a new brush head every 3 months.
Check out our BURST Sonic Electric Toothbrush hands-on full review!
- Pros: Travel case included, 3 intensity modes, 2-minute timer with QuadPacer, ergonomic handle and a gentle brushing experience
- Cons: Slightly more expensive than others
4. Aquasonic Black Series Electric Toothbrush (Best Features)
An incredibly powerful 40,000 VPM motor delivers a complete and thoroughly clean - but the black series goes beyond just cleaning your teeth.
Use Whiten mode to dissolve surface stains towards the end of your brushing sessions. Massage mode delivers vibrating micro-bursts into gum tissue to improve circulation and tissue function. Whiter teeth and healthier gums mean a more beautiful smile.
The Aquasonic Black Series Electric Toothbrush has 4 brushing modes and 8 brush heads, so you can choose the one that works best for you. In addition, it features an industry-leading 40,000 vibration/minute motor.
The toothbrush features an American Dental Association seal of approval and has a two-minute timer with a 30-second interval timer to ensure you brush your teeth evenly. In addition, it comes with a charging base and a travel case.
- Pros: 40k vibrations/minute, travel case included, 5 intensity modes, 2-minute timer with QuadPacer, 8 replacement brush heads and ADA Accepted
- Cons: Strong motor may be too rough
5. PRO-SYS VarioSonic Sensitive Electric Toothbrush
The PRO-SYS VarioSonic power toothbrush allows you to customize your brushing experience for a dentist-like clean at home.
Combining 5 different soft brush heads and 5 different cleaning modes allows 25 possible intensities- making it the right power brush for any periodontal conditional.
Experience the freedom to choose the ideal level of cleaning power and dynamic brush head articulation every time.
Try the V105 Feather soft brush head for sensitive teeth, the V200M brush head for healthy teeth and gums and the other three in between to best fit your needs.
The PRO-SYS VarioSonic Sensitive Electric Toothbrush has soft bristles that are gentle on your gums. It has 5 brushing modes and 4 replacement toothbrush heads.
In addition, it features a two-minute timer to ensure you brush for the recommended time. The toothbrush also has a long battery life for extended use.
- Pros: Specifically designed for patients with sensitivity, ADA Accepted, 2-minute timer with QuadPacer, travel case, 5 replacement brush heads, and 5 brushing modes
- Cons: More expensive than other options
A high-quality electric toothbrush can help you maintain good oral hygiene and healthier gums. Consider what unique features and materials are important to you, and choose a toothbrush that suits your needs. With the right toothbrush, you can keep your teeth and gums healthy as you age.
Bonus: Top 3 Manual Toothbrush for Receding Gums
If you prefer a manual toothbrush, consider a brush with soft bristles and a small head that can reach all areas of the mouth. It’s also important to use gentle circular motions when brushing and to avoid applying too much pressure, which can further damage the gums.
1. Dr. Collins PERIO Supersoft Toothbrush (Best Overall)
Dr. Collins is “bringing smiles to life.” They offer multiple oral care products, including toothbrushes, floss, toothpaste, and whitening products.
The PERIO Toothbrush is their #1 product and features polyester bristles to minimize bacterial growth. The bristles are treated with a patented tapering technique and are less porous than ordinary nylon bristles.
Their slim and supersoft finish allows further bristle penetration between teeth and gums. In addition, their PERIO line includes PERIO Floss and other periodontal disease-focused products.
The Dr. Collins toothbrush has an adequate handle size and grips to limit slipping. The curved end of the handle allows you to rock the toothbrush around hard-to-reach areas. It’s comfortable to hold and very lightweight as well. The oval-shaped brush head is wider in the middle to wrap around taller teeth.
The feathered polyester bristles are incredibly comfortable on the gums and slide easily between the teeth. There is a wide range of bristle densities between the toothbrushes being reviewed. Dr. Collins has the right amount of bristles to flex around teeth without collapsing easily. The cleaning effectiveness was excellent, and it was enjoyable to use.
Check out our Dr. Collins PERIO Supersoft Toothbrush hands-on full review!
2. Oral-B Gum Care Compact Extra Soft Toothbrush (Runner-Up)
The Oral B Gum Care Extra-Soft Compact Head Toothbrush improves your gum health with ultra-soft bristles, which gently clean along the gumline and multilevel bristles clean deep between teeth. It has a compact head for superior reach to your back teeth.
The ultra-soft bristles are five times more gentle than a regular soft toothbrush and are perfect for those with sensitive teeth and gums.
Oral-B designed a great toothbrush with multiple tufts of soft bristles. Its tiny brush head was comfortable around hard-to-reach areas. The handle was extremely comfortable to grip and eliminated unnecessary rotation or slipping. The multi-level bristles are a unique design feature that helps clean away plaque between the teeth.
Check out our Oral-B Gum Care Compact Extra Soft Toothbrush!
3. 4-Pieces Soft Micro-Nano Extra Soft Toothbrush (Runner-Up)
4-Pieces is a popular e-commerce product line with an impressive 20,000 extra soft micro-nano bristles.
This toothbrush features a sleek brush handle and a small brush head to clean hard-to-reach areas. Also, it has multi-level bristles to clean deep within the grooves of the teeth.
It’s easy to forget you’re even brushing your teeth when using this toothbrush. 4-Pieces are incredibly soft and gentle on the teeth and gums. The staggered bristle height was effective around the gum line to fit between the teeth.
The 20,000 ultra-soft bristles packed tightly into this small brush head deserve kudos! Also, the tongue and cheek cleaner was a great addition to remove odor-causing bacteria.
Check out our 4-Pieces Soft Micro-Nano Extra Soft Toothbrush!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Electric toothbrushes are better for receding gums because they have a consistent and gentle motion that effectively cleans teeth without causing further damage to the gums.
The top features to look for in an electric toothbrush for receding gums include a soft bristle head, adjustable brushing intensity, pressure sensors, and a timer.
Yes, some of the recommended brands for electric toothbrushes for receding gums include Oral-B, Philips Sonicare, Waterpik, and Colgate.
It is recommended to replace the brush head on an electric toothbrush for receding gums every three months, or sooner if the bristles become frayed or worn out.
My Experience & Expertise
As an experienced dentist, I have seen firsthand the importance of using the right toothbrush for oral health. Using an electric toothbrush can be a game-changer for receding gums. Not only do they provide a more thorough clean, but they can also help prevent further gum recession.
Over the years, I have tried and tested various electric toothbrushes to find the best ones for my patients with receding gums. Regardless of which electric toothbrush you choose, there are some tips to keep in mind when brushing with receding gums:
- Use a soft-bristled brush to avoid further irritation to your gums.
- Brush gently, using circular motions rather than back-and-forth scrubbing.
- Be sure to brush along the gumline to remove plaque buildup.
- Consider using a toothpaste specifically formulated for sensitive teeth and gums.
Knowledge is power when cultivating healthy dental habits. The more informed you are, the better positioned you’ll be to prevent avoidable and potentially costly dental procedures for you and your family. Watch for future blog posts, where we’ll continue sharing important information, product reviews and practical advice!