Dental Crown Second Opinion (Potentially Save Thousands)
Matt Hannan, DDS
Updated: January 14, 2024
I’ve seen hundreds of patients seeking a second opinion for dental work.
In addition, statistics show that many patients have seen other dentists for a second opinion.
When it comes to dental work, it is vital to ensure that you get the best care possible.
Whether you need a dental crown or have already been recommended one by your dentist, getting a second opinion before making any decisions is crucial.Recommended Reading: Dental Second Opinion | The Ultimate Guide
Understanding Second Opinions
A second opinion can help ensure that the treatment you receive is the best option for your individual needs and that you understand all the risks and benefits of the procedure.
Regarding your dental health, getting a second opinion is always a good idea. As a dentist, I always recommend it to patients who need clarification on the proposed dental treatment.
In this blog post, we’ll discuss why getting a second opinion on dental crowns is essential and how to do so from a dentist’s perspective.
Why Get a Second Opinion on Dental Crowns?
Getting a second opinion on dental crowns is vital for several reasons. First, it allows you to get an unbiased view from another dentist who may have different experience and expertise than your current dentist.
Additionally, getting a second opinion may provide alternative treatment, including less invasive procedures such as a filling. Also, it can provide peace of mind that you are making the right decision for your dental health.
According to a research study, the most common reasons for a second opinion include the oral cavity (20%), the urgency of particular treatments (18%), and the quality of care delivered by the own dentist (17%).
If your current dentist recommends an expensive treatment plan, verification is invaluable for a dentist with no skin in the game. Admittedly, seeing another dentist is inconvenient but could save you thousands of dollars.
In addition, getting a second opinion can ensure that the recommended treatment is appropriate and cost-effective for your needs.
Finally, getting a second opinion on dental crowns can also be beneficial if there are complications or unexpected results after the procedure. Another dentist may provide additional insight into why these issues occurred and how they can be addressed to achieve better results in the future.
- Ask your current dentist for a referral to another dentist specializing in the procedure.
- Research dentists in your area with qualified training and read reviews from previous patients.
- Schedule an appointment with the new dentist and bring your medical records and X-rays.
- Explain why you are seeking a second opinion and ask questions about the risks, benefits, and costs associated with the procedure.
- Make sure to get a written report from the new dentist outlining their recommendations before making any decisions.
My Dental Advocate allows you to consult the dentist from your home with no subsequent appointment or time off work.
What to Look for in a Second Opinion Provider
When looking for a second opinion dentist for dental crowns, it is vital to ensure they have the necessary experience and expertise in the procedure.
It is also essential to ensure they are up-to-date on the latest techniques and technologies in dental crown procedures.
Additionally, you should look for a provider who is willing to take the time to answer all of your questions and explain the risks and benefits associated with the procedure.
Finally, make sure you feel comfortable with the provider and trust their judgment before making decisions about your oral health.
Remember that many dental offices have CAD/CAM same-day crown capabilities. CEREC crowns are a type of crown that can be fabricated and delivered within 2 hours. CEREC CAD/CAM crowns are only sometimes recommended.
However, they are an excellent choice for many situations. Learn about CEREC crowns by visiting our “Complete Guide.”Recommended Reading: 10 Reasons You Need a Second Opinion on Dental Work (Dentist’s Thoughts)
- Consider asking for referrals from family or friends who have had similar procedures done.
- Check if your insurance covers second opinions or if a discounted rate is available for getting one.
- Ensure the provider is board certified and has experience performing dental crown procedures.
- Ask about any potential complications that could arise from the procedure and how they would be addressed.
- Look for a dental office that offers in-office CAD/CAM same-day dental crowns.
Benefits of Getting a Second Opinion
Getting a second opinion on dental crowns can be beneficial for many reasons. As a dentist, I know how important it is for patients to trust their dental provider.
Honesty, integrity, respecting patients’ time, and mannerisms are essential to building trust with patients.
- Get a better understanding of the procedure and its potential risks.
- Receive an unbiased opinion from a qualified and reputable dentist.
- Have the opportunity to compare different treatment options and costs.
- Gain access to the latest techniques and technologies used in dental crown procedures.
- Receive personalized advice tailored to your individual needs and goals for treatment.
- Feel more confident in your decision-making process by having all the facts before making a final choice about treatment plans or procedures.
- Save thousands of dollars on unnecessary treatments or procedures that may not be necessary for your particular case.
Questions to Ask During Your Second Opinion Appointment
When seeking a second opinion on dental crowns, it is essential to ask pertinent questions about the risks, benefits, and costs associated with the procedure.
Here are some quality questions you should consider asking during your appointment from a dentist’s perspective.
- What type of crown is being recommended and why?
- Are there any potential complications that could arise from the procedure?
- How long will the crown last, and what kind of maintenance will be required?
- What type of anesthesia will be used for the procedure?
- How much does the procedure cost, and does my insurance cover it?
- What type of follow-up care is necessary after the procedure?
- Do you take my dental insurance?
- Do you take my dental plan?
- Is your practice an in-network dentist?
- How much will I pay out of pocket?
My Dental Advocate solution
My Dental Advocate provides a valuable service for patients seeking a second opinion on their proposed dental treatment.
By offering asynchronous telehealth consultations, My Dental Advocate allows patients to securely upload their treatment plans and x-rays and receive a response from a board-certified dentist within hours.
We provide a convenient and efficient way to review proposed dental treatment and receive a non-biased report, giving you peace of mind about any expensive dental work you may be considering.
In addition, if patients have any questions or concerns about their treatment, they can reply to the email and message the dentist for further clarification.
My Dental Advocate is a helpful resource for patients looking to ensure they receive the best care for their dental health.
MDA Verification Report
What is the My Dental Verification Report, and why is it important?
Our board-certified dentists will review your case and provide an unbiased second opinion on how you should move forward with your proposed dental treatment.
We respect all dentists suggested treatment; however, we desire clarity for your dental needs. You should understand what dental work is necessary to move forward with treatment confidently.
How We help
- Avoid unnecessary dental treatment
- Potentially save you thousands of dollars
- Information reviewed privately and securely
- Unbiased assessment that brings you peace of mind
- Quick response time to review the report at your convenience
- Clarity and confidence moving forward with dental treatment
- Completed from the comfort of your own home
With My Dental Advocate, patients of all ages now have an unbiased, expert second opinion to securely review their proposed dental treatment and gain the knowledge to improve their oral health.
Step 1: Complete Questionnaire
The questionnaire includes a brief medical history, oral hygiene habits, and an opportunity to explain your dental concerns.
Step 2: Upload X-rays
Contact your provider to request your x-rays or take a photo of them at the office. You can also upload dental photos, current treatment plans, periodontal probings, and other supporting documents.
Step 3: Submit Payment
We will privately send your information to a board-certified dentist who will securely assess your case and provide a detailed second opinion for your proposed dental work.
Step 4: Receive MDA Verification Report
We will email your MDA Verification Report second opinion within hours for review at your convenience and from the comfort of your home.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
My Experience & Expertise
Getting a second opinion on dental crowns is essential to ensure you make the best decision for oral health.
It can provide additional insight into the risks and benefits associated with the procedure, help ensure that you receive quality care from an experienced provider, and give you peace of mind knowing that you have made an informed decision.
By taking these steps, you can be confident that you are making the right choice for your dental health.
Need a second opinion? We can help! Learn more. Knowledge is power when cultivating healthy dental habits. The more informed you are, the better positioned you’ll be to prevent avoidable and potentially costly dental procedures for you and your family. Watch for future blog posts, where we’ll continue sharing important information, product reviews and practical advice!
- Eijkman MA. Dental patients asking for a second opinion: what oral problems do they have? Community Dent Oral Epidemiol. 1988.
About the Author
Dr. Matthew Hannan, also known as “Dr. Advocate,” is a board-certified dentist on a mission to provide accurate dental patient education. He attended Baylor University before completing dental school at UT Health San Antonio School of Dentistry. He now lives in Arizona with his beautiful wife and 4 kids. Dr. Hannan believes everyone should access easy-to-read dental resources with relevant, up-to-date dental research and insight to improve their oral health.
Connect with Dr. Hannan!
Gain Clarity with Our FREE Second Opinion Guide
Receive clear, expert second opinions online within 48 hours. Start today!
Our 250+ dental product reviews (and counting), curated by an experienced dentist, are the most comprehensive online.
State-of-the-art chatbot designed to help you discover your perfect toothbrush in just a few simple steps!
Cutting-edge digital tool designed to evaluate your individual cavity risk based on your responses to a series of questions.
Discover your gum disease risk with our quick and engaging 6-question assessment!